I know for a fact that Panforte is definitely in season! This is a traditional Italian confection that is a speciality of the town of Siena, Italy. You can buy the imported ones from Siena here, but it’s just not the same. A couple of years ago while wandering around Arezzo, Tuscany we found some in a shop. It was heaven! Redolent of spices and candied fruit, the texture was softer than the ones from Siena, I could have eaten the whole piece myself, sharing was a challenge. It was awesome! Rise Artisan makes a really good version, in fact we thought it was comparable to the Panforte we had in Tuscany! You can find Rise at the Winter Farmer’s Market at Nat Bailey Stadium or at Sweet’es in Kerrisale.
Enough about treats in December and on to seasonal produce we can make delicious, comforting meals with. There is still a lot available out there and we are having a great time cooking up a storm! Think stews, soups, roasted vegs. Now, it’s not so bad is it?
- Beets – from golden to red
- Brussels sprouts – they just get better & better the colder it gets
- Carrots – sweet and delicious
- Kale – various types (Lacinato is my personal favourite)
- Leeks – great for soups or…
- Onions – red & yellow
- Parsnips – like Brussels sprouts, parsnips like it cold
- Turnips – sweet & a favourite of mine
- Pears – Bosc, Bartletts & red varieties
- Cilantro, Rosemary, Sage & Thyme
**If you would like to check out Rise Artisan, please go to My Source List.